Re: Parallel WAL Archival Options

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parallel WAL Archival Options
Date: 2023-08-06 08:20:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 8/6/23 02:43, Nikhil Shetty wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I would like to know which backup&restore tools will be better for
> scenarios where the database is generating around 400 WALs per minute.

If my math is correct, 400x 16MB WAL files per minute is 400*(16*2^20)/60*8
/ 10^6 = 895 MBits *per second*.  Plus overhead.

That's about *1Gbit/second*.  Definitely nothing to sneeze at.

> We are using wal-g but it is not able to keep pace with the wal
> generation. We increased the upload streams to 256 but no luck

Uploads to a *remote* server?

Does wal-g compress files before sending them across the wire?  By how
much?  Are you CPU or IO bound by having to compress that much data?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.