Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml
Date: 2024-10-15 23:39:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 15, 2024 at 05:59:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2024 at 05:27:49PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> That policy would cause substantial problems with contributor names
> >> in the release notes. I agree with Peter that we don't need this.
> >> Catching otherwise-invisible characters seems sufficient.
>
> > Uh, why can't we use HTML entities going forward? Is that harder?
>
> Yes: it requires looking up the entities. The mail you are probably
> consulting to make a release note or commit message is most likely
> just going to contain the person's name as normally spelled.
>
> Plus (as you pointed out earlier today) there aren't HTML entities for
> all characters.
>
> > Can we just exclude the release notes from this check?
>
> What is the point of a check we can only enforce against part of the
> documentation?

If people are uncomfortable with a hard requirement, we can convert the
Latin-1 we have now to HTML entities, and then just give people a
command in README.non-ASCII to check for UTF8 if they wish. Patch
attached.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"

Attachment Content-Type Size
latin1.diff text/x-diff 8.5 KB