Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml
Date: 2024-10-15 21:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2024 at 05:27:49PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That policy would cause substantial problems with contributor names
>> in the release notes. I agree with Peter that we don't need this.
>> Catching otherwise-invisible characters seems sufficient.

> Uh, why can't we use HTML entities going forward? Is that harder?

Yes: it requires looking up the entities. The mail you are probably
consulting to make a release note or commit message is most likely
just going to contain the person's name as normally spelled.

Plus (as you pointed out earlier today) there aren't HTML entities for
all characters.

> Can we just exclude the release notes from this check?

What is the point of a check we can only enforce against part of the
documentation?