Re: pgsql: Perl scripts: eliminate "Useless interpolation" warnings

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Perl scripts: eliminate "Useless interpolation" warnings
Date: 2024-09-15 20:16:52
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Sun, Sep 15, 2024 at 02:30:47PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2024-09-15 Su 10:56 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> Perl scripts: eliminate "Useless interpolation" warnings
>
> Eliminate warnings of Perl Critic from src/tools.
>
> Backpatch-through: master
>

> I don't understand this commit. The buildfarm members crake and koel regularly
> run the perl critic checks and have not complained. See for example from before
> this change: <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=
> koel&dt=2024-09-15%2003%3A34%3A02&stg=perl-check>
>
> The change doesn't seem to have had any discussion either. This particular
> warning is surely a very low level (i.e. fairly unimportant) one, of the type
> we normally ignore. If some version of perlcritic has raised it to severity 5
> then the correct action IMNSHO would be to add an exception for it to the
> perlcriticrc, like we do for ProhibitLeadingZeros. If not, then perhaps you can
> explain how you got the warnings.

So, the warning is about the use of double-quotes when single-quotes
will work just fine. I wrote a new script and changed it to single
quotes, so for consistency, I looked at other Perl scripts that might
have the issue. The message I got was:

/root/add_commit_links.pl: Useless interpolation of literal string at line 51 near 'my $tmpfile = $file . ".tmp";'. (Severity: 1)

My $HOME/.perlcritic has:

severity = 1

and that is why I saw it. Is it a bad change?

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"