Re: pgsql: Perl scripts: eliminate "Useless interpolation" warnings

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Perl scripts: eliminate "Useless interpolation" warnings
Date: 2024-09-15 18:30:47
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 2024-09-15 Su 10:56 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Perl scripts: eliminate "Useless interpolation" warnings
>
> Eliminate warnings of Perl Critic from src/tools.
>
> Backpatch-through: master

I don't understand this commit. The buildfarm members crake and koel
regularly run the perl critic checks and have not complained. See for
example from before this change:
<https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=koel&dt=2024-09-15%2003%3A34%3A02&stg=perl-check>

The change doesn't seem to have had any discussion either. This
particular warning is surely a very low level (i.e. fairly unimportant)
one, of the type we normally ignore. If some version of perlcritic has
raised it to severity 5 then the correct action IMNSHO would be to add
an exception for it to the perlcriticrc, like we do for
ProhibitLeadingZeros. If not, then perhaps you can explain how you got
the warnings.

cheers

andrew

--