Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Ilya Gladyshev <ilya(dot)v(dot)gladyshev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps
Date: 2024-09-09 19:17:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 05, 2024 at 01:32:34PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> I've read and tested through the latest version of this patchset and I think
> it's ready to go in.

Thanks for reviewing. I'm aiming to commit it later this week.

> The one concern I have is that tasks can exit(1) on libpq
> errors tearing down perfectly functional connections without graceful shutdown.
> Longer term I think it would make sense to add similar exit handler callbacks
> to the ones in pg_dump for graceful cleanup of connections. However, in order
> to keep goalposts in clear view I don't think this patch need to have it, but
> it would be good to consider once in.

This did cross my mind. I haven't noticed any problems in my testing, and
it looks like there are several existing places in pg_upgrade that call
pg_fatal() with open connections, so I'm inclined to agree that this is a
nice follow-up task that needn't hold up this patch set.

> Spotted a small typo in the comments:
>
> + * nothing to process. This is primarily intended for the inital step in
> s/inital/initial/

Will fix.

--
nathan