Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ilya Gladyshev <ilya(dot)v(dot)gladyshev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps
Date: 2024-09-05 11:32:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've read and tested through the latest version of this patchset and I think
it's ready to go in. The one concern I have is that tasks can exit(1) on libpq
errors tearing down perfectly functional connections without graceful shutdown.
Longer term I think it would make sense to add similar exit handler callbacks
to the ones in pg_dump for graceful cleanup of connections. However, in order
to keep goalposts in clear view I don't think this patch need to have it, but
it would be good to consider once in.

Spotted a small typo in the comments:

+ * nothing to process. This is primarily intended for the inital step in
s/inital/initial/

--
Daniel Gustafsson