Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Amonson, Paul D" <paul(dot)d(dot)amonson(at)intel(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Shankaran, Akash" <akash(dot)shankaran(at)intel(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.
Date: 2024-08-22 15:29:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the new patches.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 03:14:32PM +0000, Amonson, Paul D wrote:
> I reran all the basic tests again to make sure that the performance
> numbers were within the margin of error when compared to my original
> finding. This step showed similar numbers (see origin post) around 1.45X
> on average. I also made sure that if compiled with the AVX-512 features
> and ran on HW without these features the Postgres server still worked
> without throwing illegal instruction exceptions.

Upthread [0], Andres suggested dispatching to a different implementation
for compile-time-known small lengths. Have you looked into that? In your
original post, you noted a 14% regression for records smaller than 256
bytes, which is not an uncommon case for Postgres. IMO we should try to
mitigate that as much as possible.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/20240612201135.kk77tiqcux77lgev%40awork3.anarazel.de

--
nathan