Re: Adding clarification to description of IPC wait events XactGroupUpdate and ProcArrayGroupUpdate

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: SAMEER KUMAR <sameer(dot)kasi200x(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Adding clarification to description of IPC wait events XactGroupUpdate and ProcArrayGroupUpdate
Date: 2024-08-15 14:41:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 15, 2024 at 11:25:25AM +0800, SAMEER KUMAR wrote:
> I think it is important to indicate that the group leader is responsible
> for clearing the transaction ID/transaction status of other backends
> (including this one).

Your proposal is

Waiting for the group leader process to clear the transaction ID of
this backend at the end of a transaction.

Waiting for the group leader process to update the transaction status
for this backend.

Mine is

Waiting for the group leader to clear the transaction ID at transaction
end.

Waiting for the group leader to update transaction status at
transaction end.

IMHO the latter doesn't convey substantially less information, and it fits
a little better with the terse style of the other wait events nearby. But
I'll yield to majority opinion here.

--
nathan