Re: Add a GUC check hook to ensure summarize_wal cannot be enabled when wal_level is minimal

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add a GUC check hook to ensure summarize_wal cannot be enabled when wal_level is minimal
Date: 2024-07-11 20:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 01:41:41PM -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 11:11:13AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> We went through a ton of permutations of that kind of
>> idea years ago, when it first became totally clear that cross-checks
>> between GUCs do not work nicely if implemented in check_hooks.
>> (You can find all the things we tried in the commit log, although
>> I don't recall exactly when.)
>
> Do you remember the general timeframe or any of the GUCs involved? I spent
> some time searching through the commit log and mailing lists, but I've thus
> far only found allusions to past bad experiences with such hooks.

Could it be the effective_cache_size work from 2013-2014?

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHyXU0weDECnab1pypNum-dWGwjso_XMTY8-NvvzRphzM2Hv5A%40mail.gmail.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAMkU%3D1zTMNZsnUV6L7aMvfJZfzjKbzAtuML3N35wyYaia9MJAw%40mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=ee1e5662d8d8330726eaef7d3110cb7add24d058
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=2850896961994aa0993b9e2ed79a209750181b8a