Re: Very slow queries followed by checkpointer process killed with signal 9

From: Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt(at)burggraben(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jason McLaurin <jason(at)jcore(dot)io>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very slow queries followed by checkpointer process killed with signal 9
Date: 2023-04-03 13:06:04
Lists: pgsql-general

## Tom Lane (tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us):

> Jason McLaurin <jason(at)jcore(dot)io> writes:
> > I'm troubleshooting an issue where about once a week, a database appears to
> > lock up and then the PostgreSQL process crashes and recovers. When this
> > happens, a few queries will be logged, but there is no pattern to which
> > queries are executing when the crash happens, and the queries logged don't
> > appear to be queries that would consume a lot of resources.
>
> Hmm, is it always the checkpointer that gets the OOM kill? That seems
> quite odd.

Are you sure it's OOM? That's a frequent source of SIGKILLs, but
SIGKILL is not exclusive to oomkiller. Maybe something in the
container stack (some cgroup resource limiting? would be in line
with slowdown at least; or a hard ulimit on cpu time?) or maybe even
some "anti virus" thingy ("It's been 0 days since AV ate the database").

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space.