Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date: 2021-12-13 08:08:42
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 09:05:21AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> That's odd. What edition of Windows 10 do you have? If it's not Pro I
> could understand it. I just checked and every Windows 10 machine I have
> here has it - and some of them are quite old.

Digging into that, I cannot find an exact build number, but it is
named Windows 10 Enterprise evaluation, which is, as far as I recall,
a pre-created VM image for VMware, so that was pretty useful.

I have been testing a couple of ideas to figure out how I could solve
that and if a system update could add a proper tar command, but I have
not been able to fix my thing. For the time being, I think that I am
just going to stick a ENV{TAR} = '' in buildenv.pl to bypass the
issue, and I have no objections to switch to
%SYSTEMROOT%/system32/tar.exe by default. Anyway, it would be nice to
document LZ4, GZIP_PROGRAM and TAR and the defaults we rely on. Also,
the default values of LZ4, TAR and GZIP_PROGRAM had better be set
*before* loading buildenv.pl, and not after it is loaded, no? On
HEAD, one has no way to unset any of those variables so it is not
possible to skip things if an environment has in its PATH a funky
command that TAP would refuse, like a tar command from MinGW or the
git installation.
--
Michael