Re: pgsql: Remove support for SSL compression

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Remove support for SSL compression
Date: 2021-03-09 11:19:52
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 12:26:15PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> It looks like it is not that much a good idea to define it as a debug
> option after all. So I guess that the attached would fix the failure,
> where FDW servers can still pass down the parameter at will for
> backward-compatibility, and where libpq keeps ignoring its value. Any
> thoughts?

So, I have been thinking more about this one, and applied the previous
patch to bring back crake to green. There are a couple of options
that could be considered to make the option non-visible, but nothing
looks really appealing to me:
- Tweak the regression tests on the back-branches to bypass the
failure, but this won't change the potential impact of anybody using
sslcompression in a FDW server, or even dblink.
- Create specific exceptions in postgres_fdw and perhaps dblink.
- Extend libpq with a special status to mark a parameter as
to-be-removed, but that feels like a mix of a normal option and a
debug option.
- Make pg_upgrade complain if such a server is detected (?), bringing
in the ring the first point of this list.
--
Michael