load balancer and connection pooling combined

From: Victor Sudakov <vas(at)sibptus(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: load balancer and connection pooling combined
Date: 2021-03-03 09:31:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear Colleagues,

Based on your personal experience and industry best practices, what load
balancer combined with connection pooler can you advise?

1. I have good experience with pgpool, it's a great and robust
connection pooler, but it cannot do load balancing and failover (or
rather, it can do very rudimentary load balancing).

2. I have limited experience with haproxy, it's great for load balancing
and failover, but it's not a connection pooler, and its pgsql-check is
not good enough, I guess you have to use an external check.

Is there the "one thing to rule them all" that does all of the above and
is well-tested and reliable?

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/