Re: scram-sha-256 authentication

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: sebihoorens(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: scram-sha-256 authentication
Date: 2021-01-06 01:57:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 09:12:58AM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> I am not sure what your end goal is, but there are a few ways to create
> the hashed SCRAM verifier:
>
> - Using the \password flag in "psql"
> - Using one of the connection drivers that interfaces with libpq's
> PQencryptPasswordConn function[2]
> - Some driver's handle the password hashing independently

Another thing to be careful about is the value of password_encryption
in postgresql.conf. The default has been changed to scram-sha-256 in
c7eab0e, meaning that this change will be available in Postgres 14~.
But if your environment is using the default configuration of 11, that
may be set to "md5".
--
Michael