Re: How to Build Postgres in a Portable / Relocatable fashion?

From: AJ ONeal <coolaj86(at)proton(dot)me>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to Build Postgres in a Portable / Relocatable fashion?
Date: 2024-05-04 00:12:55
Lists: pgsql-general

> > What I want to create (and provide) is a portable tarball that has
> > most of all what it needs in the tarball and will look for relevant
> > libraries relative to itself.
>

> See
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/installation.html
>
> particularly the discussion of installation relocatability under
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-make.html#CONFIGURE-OPTIONS-LOCATIONS

It seems like the first bit of magic I need is:
`--prefix=/doesntexist/postgres`

Including 'postgres' as part of the name puts it in "relative mode", so-to-speak.

Thank you!

> > Something that Just Works™ almost anywhere (Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat, Suse... maybe even Alpine).
>

> That's a little harder, mainly because the shared libraries for
> dependencies like openssl etc may not be 100% compatible across
> all those platforms. Different versions, different build options,
> yadda yadda.

I'd like to build as much static as possible (or reasonable). Is there a way to tell it "just include openssl"?

> Maybe you should be thinking in terms of a docker container
> or the like?

I really hate Docker. The idea of "we can't ship your computer to the client, so we'll just ship... a clone of you computer to the client" offends my sensibilities.

Or rather, I like the opportunity that LXC provides in the right context, but I don't like how it's become a replacement for shared knowledge within a group - i.e. "no one can remember the wisdom of the ancients, so if this fragile system that Ted built ever fails or needs a change no one knows how he did it or what the options mean, but don't worry, it's all encapsulated in a very complex Dockerfile that no one understands and depends on hundreds of layers of images... but it's not like someone would ever leftpad any of them... What could go wrong?"