RE: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Shlok Kyal' <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nitin Motiani <nitinmotiani(at)google(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication
Date: 2024-10-08 03:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Shlok,

> I have tested this part. I observed that ,whenever we insert data in a
> partition table, the function 'get_rel_sync_entry' is called and a
> hash entry is created for the corresponding leaf node relid. So I feel
> while invalidating here we can specify 'PUBLICATION_PART_LEAF' . I
> have made the corresponding changes 0002 patch.

I also verified and it seems true. The root table is a virtual table and actual
changes are recorded in leaf ones. It is same for WAL layer. Logical decoding
obtains info from WAL records so leaf tables are passed to pgoutput layer as
"relation". I.e., I think it is enough to invalidate relcache of leaf.

> I have also modified the tests in 0001 patch. These changes are only
> related to syntax of writing tests.

LGTM. I found small improvements, please find the attached.

Best regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED

Attachment Content-Type Size
minor_fix.diffs application/octet-stream 3.4 KB