Re: Help. The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.

From: Dmitry O Litvintsev <litvinse(at)fnal(dot)gov>
To: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help. The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.
Date: 2024-07-11 16:57:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Thank you to all who responded.
There is a follow up question.
Our admin tried the following:

A host that wad been running postgresql11 was upgraded to Alma9 (from SL7) and
postgresql15. They then built postgresql11 on that host from sources.
Then they run pg_upgrade from 11 to 15. It worked and psql to db is not
accompanied by "collation version" warning.

This was unexpected to me based on my experience that I related on this thread.
Is this a legit procedure?

To remind, what did no work:

- upgrade to 15 on SL7 host, setup stream, replication to Alma9 host. psql top replica
complains about "The database was created using collation ..."

Advice is appreciated

P.S.: where I can still find postgresql11 RPMs for Alma9? Buiding from sourcres is OK, but a bit of a hassle.