Inserts and bad performance

From: "Godfrin, Philippe E" <Philippe(dot)Godfrin(at)nov(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inserts and bad performance
Date: 2021-11-24 19:15:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings
I am inserting a large number of rows, 5,10, 15 million. The python code commits every 5000 inserts. The table has partitioned children.

At first, when there were a low number of rows inserted, the inserts would run at a good clip - 30 - 50K inserts per second. Now, after inserting oh say 1.5 Billion rows, the insert rate has dropped to around 5000 inserts per second. I dropped the unique index , rebuilt the other indexes and no change. The instance is 16 vcpu and 64GB ram.

I'm perplexed, I can't see to find any reason for the slow down...
Thanks,
pg

Phil Godfrin | Database Administration
NOV
NOV US | Engineering Data
9720 Beechnut St | Houston, Texas 77036
M 281.825.2311
E Philippe(dot)Godfrin(at)nov(dot)com<mailto:Philippe(dot)Godfrin(at)nov(dot)com>