Re: SQL textbook

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL textbook
Date: 2007-02-08 18:35:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Michael Schmidt wrote:

> There are a lot of resources available. Each database program has a
> different dialect of SQL, and I find the PostgreSQL on-line manual has an
> excellent introduction of SQL and even some theoretical issues. I would
> start there (its free and directly applicable to using PostgreSQL).

>> I would like to ask for a hint for a good SQL textbook. I don't want just
>> a reference manual but real textbook with a theoretical background so I
>> could to design my databases following the general rules as normal forms
>> and so on. I mean something on the net of course.

I think Jan is confusing two separate concepts: database design
(particularly how to normalize the tables) and the SQL language used to work
with whatever design one's created.

For the language itself, I concur that anything written by Joe Celko is
worth reading. I believe he wrote a monthly column for Database Advisor in
the 1980s that was always worth reading.

For database design, I suggest a visit to a library, technical bookstore,
or a Google search to find something written to answer the questions Jan
has. Seems like every author has a different definition of 'database
design,' and some confuse design tools with design concepts. Only Jan can
decide what references are pertinent to his needs. Again, Google is your
friend.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)