Re: SQL textbook

From: "Michael Schmidt" <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>
To: "Jan Mura" <jan(dot)mura(at)volny(dot)cz>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL textbook
Date: 2007-02-08 17:54:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Jan,
There are a lot of resources available. Each database program has a different dialect of SQL, and I find the PostgreSQL on-line manual has an excellent introduction of SQL and even some theoretical issues. I would start there (its free and directly applicable to using PostgreSQL).

Searching on the web will yield some tutorials but these tend to be pretty brief. There is a discussion group at DbForums that has some information. There are also occasional subject specific articles, such as on data modeling.

Many books are available for download. Joe Celko is a well respected author and just about anything with his name on it is good. Here are some specific suggestions.

An introduction to database vocabulary and terms:
Date, C.J. (2006). The relational database dictionary. Sebastopol, CA: O"Reilly

Database design and concepts:
Hernandez, M.J. (2003). Database design for mere mortals (2nd ed.). New York: Addison-Wesley.

Bagui, S. & Earp, R. (2003). Database design using entity-relationship diagrams. New York: Auerbach Publications.

Celko, J. (1999). Joe Celko's data and databases: concepts in practice. San Francisco: Morgan Kaufman.

SQL
Celko, J. (2005). Joe Celko's SQL programming style. Amsterdam: Elsevier.

Gulutzan, P., & Peltzer, T. (2002). SQL performance tuning. New York: Addison Wesley.

Faroult, S., & Robson, P. (2006). The are ot SQL. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly.

Tow, D. (2003). SQL tuning. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly.