Re: more contrib: log rotator

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: more contrib: log rotator
Date: 2003-04-06 21:03:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> Seems like a good bare-bones file writer; but how about all those
> frammishes that people ask for like generating date-based filenames,
> switching every so many bytes, etc? Also, it'd be nice not to be
> dependent on a cron job to tickle the switchover.

Linux systems have a standard system log rotation mechanism (see
logrotate(8)), which can rotate logs by size and time and has a number of
other features. I would rather depend on that kind of preferred system
mechanism than rolling out our own. And we already depend on cron for
vacuuming anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net