Re: more contrib: log rotator

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: more contrib: log rotator
Date: 2003-04-06 22:17:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 11:03:27PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Linux systems have a standard system log rotation mechanism (see
> logrotate(8)), which can rotate logs by size and time and has a number of
> other features. I would rather depend on that kind of preferred system

But it's not available on every platform. And according to my
/usr/share/doc/logrotate/copyright, it's GPL, so you can't
redistribute it with PostgreSQL. Building it in was one of the
criteria, I thought

> And we already depend on cron for vacuuming anyway.

But that dependency is actually a liability, because there's no way
to say, "Hey, I really need to be vacuumed now." We (at Liberty) are
currently going through a remarkable number of hoops trying to get
around that very limitation

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada