Re: standard schemas for addresses, others?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)cvc(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-General-List (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: standard schemas for addresses, others?
Date: 2003-01-23 23:30:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Dennis Gearon writes:

> Are there any sites with 'standard schemas' for certain, repetitive
> database needs? For example, addresses and their components. Does anyone
> have a schema for addresses that will work for the USA *AND* internation
> addresses?

No chance. You need to cut a compromise between structure and
flexibility. If you just want to save, say, shipping addresses, then make
them free text -- person name, address information, country. (Possibly
divide the address information into street'ish and city'ish, but that's
already pushing it.) If you need the addresses to be structured so you
can do data analysis then you need to define your actual needs. Probably
you don't have customers *everywhere*.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net