Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Date: 2002-07-07 10:58:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > Also, is there anything in SQL99 that we ought to try to be
> > compatible with?
>
> As far as I know there's no such an equivalent in SQL99.

Sure:

11.34 <translation definition>

Function

Define a character translation.

Format

<translation definition> ::=
CREATE TRANSLATION <translation name>
FOR <source character set specification>
TO <target character set specification>
FROM <translation source>

<source character set specification> ::= <character set specification>

<target character set specification> ::= <character set specification>

<translation source> ::=
<existing translation name>
| <translation routine>

<existing translation name> ::= <translation name>

<translation routine> ::= <specific routine designator>

That's pretty much exactly what you are descibing.

What would be really cool is if we could somehow reuse the conversion
modules provided by the C library and/or the iconv library. For example,
I have 176 "modules" under /usr/lib/gconv. They should be useful for
something.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net