Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Date: 2002-07-07 12:30:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tatsuo Ishii writes:
>
> > > Also, is there anything in SQL99 that we ought to try to be
> > > compatible with?
> >
> > As far as I know there's no such an equivalent in SQL99.
>
> Sure:
>
> 11.34 <translation definition>

I guess you mix up SQL99's "trasnlate" and "convert".

As far as I know, SQL99's "translation" is exactly a translation. e.g.

rr) translation: A method of translating characters in one character
repertoire into characters of the same or a different character
repertoire.

For example, certain "translation" might take an input of Engish text,
and makes an output of Japanese one (I don't know if we could
implement such a translation though :-).

On the other hand "convert" just changes the "form-of-use" (SQL's
term, actually equivalent to "encoding"), keeping the character
repertoire.
--
Tatsuo Ishii