Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Andrew Snow <andrew(at)modulus(dot)org>
Cc: <cmarin(at)dims(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?
Date: 2003-06-19 14:08:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Andrew Snow wrote:

> This is an old postgres "gotcha" that I've lived with since a long, long
> time ago. It forced me to always use the datestyle YYYY-MM-DD so there
> is never any confusion in my programming.

create table p (d date);
CREATE TABLE
insert into p values ('2003-13-03');
INSERT 4530055 1
insert into p values ('2003-03-13');
INSERT 4530056 1
select * from p;
2003-03-13
2003-03-13

That doesn't fix it, it just makes it more obvious to the user how they
should insert. If you switch the month/day pgsql STILL swaps them back
for you.