Re: Can't write lock file

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: MT <mt(at)open2web(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't write lock file
Date: 2002-10-21 18:41:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, MT wrote:

> Here are the results of
>
> df /tmp/
> Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6 253840 243504 0 100% /
>
> df -i /tmp/
> Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6 65792 24415 41377 38% /
>
> The above information seems to me contradictory in that df /tmp reports
> that 100% of my 1k-blocks are used, while df -i /tmp/ reports that only
> 38% of inodes are used. I don't know what to make of this. Nor am I sure
> if this is why I can't use postgres. Nor why this problem has occured in
> the first place.

Having inodes available won't help if your drive is full, since you have
to have blocks free to write. note that the drive isn't really completely
full, but the space left (1,000 blocks or so) are only available for root
to write to.

That's so that root can still log in and fix the problem, etc...

You either need to free up space on your /tmp drive or make a bigger
partition for it.