Re: Functions in Postgres

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <gordoncl(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Functions in Postgres
Date: 2002-04-11 00:55:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

gordoncl(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au writes:

> Do all functions get compiled in Postgresql? I know functions with trusted
> languages like PL/pgsql and PL/TCL etc do, but what about functions written in
> SQL?

Each language handler is free to interpret the source text in its own way.
This has nothing to do with trustedness (is SQL not trusted?). Neither
PL/pgSQL nor PL/Tcl involve a compilation step, although PL/pgSQL does
some optimizations internally that could be called compilation.

Is this question just out of random interest, or are you really asking
something like are functions fast?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net