Re: Management tool support and scalibility

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kevin <TenToThe8th(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Management tool support and scalibility
Date: 2002-02-03 06:04:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin writes:

> E.g., Oracle 8i had a very nice management console (and from the glimpse
> of 9i I got, it's even better). You could look at things like database
> schemas via a tree view, database physical layouts, user information,
> and connection information. (I don't have it in front of me at the
> moment, so I'm sure there is more.)

Most of that information is now accessible via system views[1], so the
problem reduces mainly to writing a GUI for that. In my mind, the problem
with writing such a GUI is that there isn't an easy choice of toolkit, and
most of us (active PostgreSQL developers) aren't well-versed in writing
GUIs. Not that that's an excuse.

A point aside: There's a MySQL GUI[2], which seems to be doing exactly
what you have in mind.

[1] http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/monitoring-stats.html
[2] http://www.mysql.com/downloads/gui-mysqlgui.html

--