Re: Management tool support and scalibility

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kevin <TenToThe8th(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Management tool support and scalibility
Date: 2002-02-04 07:33:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This email demonstrates how important GUIs are for database users. It seems
like users are judging PostgreSQL on the ability to create, view and modify
PostgreSQL objects.

Dave Page wrote a very nice GUI called pgAdmin II
(http://padmin.postgresql.org).

It gives access to all PostgreSQL features. It is a must-have, especially if
you want to use PostgreSQL 7.2 and its CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION which are
supported.

I would also like to take the opportunity to point out (again) how important
are on the to-do list : CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW, CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER. In
addition, we would like to have a better CREATE TABLE AS with a choice of
preserving/dropping linked objects (primary key, triggers, rules) and
hopefully an ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN clause.

Why not concentrate on these very simple features before going further? This
would bring a bunch of people from beginner tools (MySQL) as well as advanced
ones (Oracle, MS SQL Server) to PostgreSQL.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE