Re: Can't write lock file

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: MT <mt(at)open2web(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't write lock file
Date: 2002-10-21 18:47:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, MT wrote:

> Here are the results of
>
> df /tmp/
> Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6 253840 243504 0 100% /
>
> df -i /tmp/
> Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc6 65792 24415 41377 38% /
>
> The above information seems to me contradictory in that df /tmp reports
> that 100% of my 1k-blocks are used, while df -i /tmp/ reports that only
> 38% of inodes are used. I don't know what to make of this. Nor am I sure
> if this is why I can't use postgres. Nor why this problem has occured in
> the first place.

Well you must have some large files if there is a disproportionate use of disk
space verses inodes.

You should try and track down where and what they are. Are your log directories
on the same filesystem as /? What about other entries in /tmp?

Try using du -sk /* as a starting point.

--
Nigel J. Andrews