Re: CREATE DATABASE WITH OWNER '??';

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE DATABASE WITH OWNER '??';
Date: 2000-05-09 20:51:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker writes:

> If I give a second user 'create database' access, how does he add auth
> privileges to that database?

There are no privileges on databases per se. There are only host-based
access privileges that may apply to all or some databases.

The difficulty with putting the control over this into the SQL environment
is two-fold:

1) You have a bootstrapping problem, because how are you going to set
these privileges if you can't connect?

2) You don't necessarily want to start up a new backend for every rogue
connection attempt.

So we're mostly stuck with what we have.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala