Re: [HACKERS] Foreign keys: unexpected result from ALTER TABLE... ADD CONSTRAINT...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Foreign keys: unexpected result from ALTER TABLE... ADD CONSTRAINT...
Date: 2000-01-18 23:28:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2000-01-17, Jan Wieck mentioned:

> So Peter, if you're working on ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT, let it
> setup the appropriate RI triggers. Look at analyze.c how to do so.

My priority is actually ALTER TABLE / DROP COLUMN, at least in a crude
'use at your own risk, all your defaults and constraints are gone' way if
I can't figure it out better by then. The ALTER TABLE / ALTER COLUMN /
SET|DROP DEFAULT was just a by-product.

I have been looking into all this ALTER TABLE code (or at least similar
code which it would have to peruse, since there is not a lot of ALTER
TABLE code) and I think I have a good understanding of what would need to
happen, but I don't think I want to risk that now. (After all, I just
_think_ I understand it.) We'll see.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala