Extremely slow update

From: Engard Ferenc <fery(at)pons(dot)sote(dot)hu>
To: Postgresql sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Extremely slow update
Date: 1998-12-27 21:55:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I executed a very simple update command: UPDATE spacked SET int_tipus=4;
The db parameters: cc. 67000 records, fresh vacuum analyze. And the
execution lasted for hours! (I don't know exactly how much, because in
the meanwhile I went to sleep :) The only thing that could be affect
its speed is that I created this column with an ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN...
command. Anyway, after it finished, a vacuum analyze command ran for more
than 12 hours, after that I killed it.

Is it normal, or something wrong?

postgresql 6.3.2, i486DX2-66, 16MB RAM.

Thx all:
Circum

__ @
/ \ _ _ Engard Ferenc
l | ( \ / | | (\/) mailto:s-fery(at)kkt(dot)sote(dot)hu
\__/ | | \_ \_/ I I http://pons.sote.hu/~s-fery