Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)

From: "neil d(dot) quiogue" <neil(at)iphil(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-questions(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)
Date: 1998-01-16 01:04:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Major problem with OID: OIDs are sequenced across the database,
> not the table. ie. tableA inserts with OID #1, tableB inserts with OID
> #2, tableA inserts next record with OID #3, tableC then gets #4, etc...

in my oo world (i.e., systems i develop), i use oid's to determine the
type of object and due to the limitation of postgresql's oids, i use a
separate field for the system's oid - kinda redundant but gotta live with
it. nonetheless, postgresql's oids can still be improved.

> And...# of OIDs is finite...so if you have a lot of tables with
> alot of data in each...you run the risk of running out.

finitely limited :)

[---]
Neil D. Quiogue <neil(at)iphil(dot)net>
IPhil Communications Network, Inc.