running vacuum in scripts

From: "Belinda M(dot) Giardine" <giardine(at)bio(dot)cse(dot)psu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: running vacuum in scripts
Date: 2005-09-19 18:27:46
Lists: pgsql-general

This seems like it should be a frequently asked question, but I am having
trouble finding the answer. I am in the process of switching to using
Postgres, and realize that I need to run vacuum analyze regularly on the
tables. This is on a Unix system so cron is the obvious choice. The
problem is I don't want to put the user name and password in the script.
As far as I can tell vacuum must be run by the table or database owner.
It wouldn't be as bad to have the password in the script if it was a
limited permissions user. Any suggestions on the best methods?

Thanks,
Belinda