Re: was there a change in FreeBSD SHM implementation from

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
Cc: stable(at)freebsd(dot)org, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: was there a change in FreeBSD SHM implementation from
Date: 2002-07-11 09:51:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Vivek Khera wrote:

> -- cut here --
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=665346048, 03600) failed: Cannot allocate memory
>
> This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
> memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
> To reduce the request size (currently 665346048 bytes), reduce
> PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 80000) and/or
> its max_connections parameter (currently 48).
> -- cut here --
>

> Now, by my arithmetic, 665346048 is certainly less than 1073741824 by
> quite a bit.
>
> I did not recompile postgres after the FreeBSD upgrade.
>
> Has something changed from 4.4-STABLE that would cause such a failure?
>
> The funny thing is that it worked just fine with FBSD 4.4 and the
> lower setting of shmmax (even with 100000 shared_buffers), so
> something is making postgres try to allocate a larger hunk of memory.
> I just don't know what.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you looked at the FreeBSD section here:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?kernel-resources.html

Most notably, I had to increase SHMMAXPGS on one of my FreeBSD machines.
There doesn't appear to be a sysctl variable for it.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com