CREATE DATABASE WITH OWNER '??';

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CREATE DATABASE WITH OWNER '??';
Date: 2000-05-06 02:02:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm just looking at what it would take to add a certain level of security
to the databases that I run on my server(s) ... one of the big problems,
as I see it, is that we have a pretty poor way of restricting users
between them all ...

For instance, if I go into pg_hba.conf and make a database 'passwd' auth
only, then anyone that has a userid/passwd can connect to that database,
regardless ...

Now, if they don't have permissions on the *tables*, they can't do
anything with those tables, but they can still create new ones ...

Is there no way of setting permissions on the database itself, so that,
for instance, we'd have:

GRANT ALL ON DATABASE <database> TO <userid>;

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org