RE: Unsupported version mentioned at Using EXPLAIN

From: "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Unsupported version mentioned at Using EXPLAIN
Date: 2021-05-07 15:34:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 2021-May-07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
>> I think there's more to this than just changing or removing the version
>> number; a better approach might be to update the documentation so that
>> it matches what current versions do.

>Yeah. The reason why a specific version is mentioned is exactly that
>the details tend to change.

Thanks for your kindly explanation on the usage of version number in Doc.
In fact, I noticed the different context in the examples among different PG version like "increment sort" which was newly introduced in PG13.
The fix I mentioned at the previous mail(change "using 9.3 development sources" to " using current development sources") is meant to tell users to refer to the "current" PG source. E.G. when a user looks at PG13.2's doc, "current" = PG13.2.
Since I do think your advice on the fix is more reasonable and friendly, I followed your hint to modify the Doc in the attached patch.
Please tell me if there's anything else insufficient.

Regards,
Tang

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Using-current-version-in-Using-EXPLAIN-Doc.patch application/octet-stream 907 bytes