Re: Have problems with 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade

From: andrew(dot)clark(at)sge(dot)net
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Darren Ferguson <darren(at)crystalballinc(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Have problems with 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade
Date: 2002-03-10 21:08:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> They must in fact have been different!

They are, as you pointed out below.

> The Debian release of 7.1 used 'peer' authentication, which has now been
> adopted into mainstream PostgreSQL as 'ident' authentication on Unix
> sockets. Therefore 'peer' is no longer valid in the Debian package and
> the new distributed pg_hba.conf has changed it to 'ident'. However,
> since this is a conffile, package installation will not touch it without
> permission.
>
> The postinst package installation script should have offered to change
> it for you. Is there a bug there?

Only that 7.1 wants peer and 7.2 doesn't. Perhaps the postgresql-dump
script show detect the change from 7.1 to 7.2 and generate a temporary
pg_hba.conf file with trust set, dump the db, reimport the db and then
restore the pg_hba.conf file?

I did eventually get this to work, it just took a bit longer than expected
(which was exaserbated by running out of space on the device I was dumping
to)

Thanks for you help,

AJFC.