pg_basebackup fails: could not receive data from WAL stream: server closed the connection unexpectedly

From: AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu
Subject: pg_basebackup fails: could not receive data from WAL stream: server closed the connection unexpectedly
Date: 2018-12-03 08:47:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

Not so long ago I faced the problem of database synchronization using
pg_basebackup utility on linux SLES 12 machine using PostgreSQL 10.4:

pg_basebackup -h host01 -U dbuser -D /var/PostgresDb -w
LOG: standby "pg_basebackup" is now a synchronous standby with priority 1
pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream: server closed the
connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request.
pg_basebackup: child process exited with error 1
pg_basebackup: removing contents of data directory "/var/RtpPostgresDb"

PostgreSQL log of master server contain the following error entry:
terminating walsender process due to replication timeout

Currently my configuration is the following:
wal_sender_timeout = 1s
wal_receiver_timeout = 1s
wal_receiver_status_interval = 10s

I see that some people faced this situation:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/109968546.289.1460409481048.JavaMail.pbrunnen%40Station8.local

The suggestion was increasing wal_sender_timeout parameter.

On the one hand I understand that if my database gets bigger it will
require bigger value of wal_sender_timeout. On the other hand I use
wal_sender_timeout = 1s on purpose in order to detect if network bad.

Could you please suggest an appropriate configuration, sensible relations
between configuration parameters or any other approach of database
synchronization which overcomes this issue?

Thank you in advance,
Andrei Yahorau