Logical replication and xids

From: Natalie Wenz <nataliewenz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Logical replication and xids
Date: 2018-12-03 03:55:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

How is the initial snapshot executed in Postgres 10 logical replication? Mainly, I’m wondering if it would hold open a transaction id on the publishing database the entire time.

(I’m dealing with several databases that are quite large with tables I want to replicate that are up to 4 or 5 TB, and I’m worried about running out of xids while the initial snapshot is sent.)

Thank you,
Natalie