Vacuuming - how often?

From: "Scott Muir" <wsmuir(at)islandnet(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Vacuuming - how often?
Date: 2001-11-14 01:32:12
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm using 7.1 on redhat 7.1...

I had a query result which startled me a bit... it was a simple join and
the result was like a cartesian product like I hadn't bothered with a when
clause.

I ran vacuum from inside pgaccess and the results of the query changed to
what I was expecting in the first place...

What I'm wondering is what is the likely problem here? Does this mean that
*regular* maintenance is required? the data in this database is pretty much
append only.. with some updating, but next to zero deleting is done...

any comments on this?

thanks
Scott.