Risks of running Postgres as a Docker container?

From: Gustav Karlsson <gustav(dot)karlsson(at)bekk(dot)no>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Gustav Karlsson <gustav(dot)karlsson(at)bekk(dot)no>
Subject: Risks of running Postgres as a Docker container?
Date: 2017-09-25 05:08:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

At my company we are getting more and more small databases and are considering moving to deploying them as Docker containers for easier management. However, every time I am trying to research the topic of databases as containers, I come across people saying "I would not run a production database in Docker" and similar. Though there do also seem to be plenty of people doing that as well!

So, I was just wondering what the experiences in the community are?

- Anybody running production databases in Docker? Have you experienced many issues?

- What are the risks of doing it? (We would of course mount an external volume for the data-directory)

Regards,

Gustav Karlsson