Re: Risks of running Postgres as a Docker container?

From: Manuel Gómez <targen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gustav Karlsson <gustav(dot)karlsson(at)bekk(dot)no>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Risks of running Postgres as a Docker container?
Date: 2017-09-25 11:37:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 7:09 AM Gustav Karlsson <gustav(dot)karlsson(at)bekk(dot)no>
wrote:

> - Anybody running production databases in Docker? Have you experienced
> many issues?
>
> - What are the risks of doing it? (We would of course mount an external
> volume for the data-directory)

Rather than particular risks, there is some work you may have to do to
enjoy all the benefits of deploying Postgres in Docker, specifically
regarding deploying images with the appropriate configuration for automated
backups and automated/assisted distributed cluster management, which you
generally want for production.

There's a lot of experience with these problems collected in some
open-source projects, though! You may be interested in Spilo
https://github.com/zalando/spilo and Patroni
https://github.com/zalando/patroni — and keep an eye out for
Kubernetes-native support currently being tested in Patroni:
https://github.com/zalando/patroni/pull/500

Note there are some relevant talk videos listed here:
https://github.com/zalando/patroni#how-patroni-works

(Full disclosure: I work in the team that develops and provides support for
internal use of these projects at Zalando.)