Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

From: François Beausoleil <francois(at)teksol(dot)info>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Christofer C(dot) Bell" <christofer(dot)c(dot)bell(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux vs FreeBSD
Date: 2014-04-09 20:36:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Le 2014-04-09 à 16:20, Bruce Momjian a écrit :

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:02:07AM -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>
> This highlights a more fundamental problem of the difference between a
> workstation-based on OS like Ubuntu and a server-based one like Debian
> or FreeBSD. I know Ubuntu has a "server" version, but fundamentally
> Ubuntu's selection of kernels and feature churn make it less than ideal
> for server deployments.
>
> I am sure someone can post that they use Ubuntu just fine for server
> deployments, but I continue to feel that Ubuntu is chosen by
> administrators because it an OS they are familiar with on workstations,
> rather than it being the best choice for servers.

I'm not a full-time sysadmin. I chose Ubuntu because I have familiarity with it, and because installing Puppet on it installed the certificates and everything I needed to get going. I tried Debian, but I had to fight and find the correct procedures to install the Puppet certificates and all. Ubuntu saved me some time back then.

Cheers!
François