Re: Quick Extensions Question

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, "pgsql-hackers Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date: 2011-03-03 18:52:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 3, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> Which is why my suggestion is pretty much free from any design
>
> Now you're scaring me. I read that as "the proposed design is free
> from the influence of any design effort."

No. Just as simple as possible.

> That's precisely how you
> can find yourself standing in a corner with wet paint on the floor
> all around you.

But if the paint were made with chocolate, would you care?

> At a minimum you would need to specify the format of the dependency
> list and either some header and or terminator or some specification
> of something which *can't* be in the list. It would be ironic if
> our extensions configuration wasn't extensible.

I'm talking about a hard-coded list of things that can go on the list, core items, simply separated by commas (or however the postgresql.conf format supports a list of items). No external dependencies (like the particular version of libxml2) or any version numbers at all, aside from the server itself.

Best,

David