Re: Quick Extensions Question

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: "Dimitri Fontaine" <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, "pgsql-hackers Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date: 2011-03-03 18:49:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> It's pretty important that we don't design ourselves into a
>> corner her
>
> Which is why my suggestion is pretty much free from any design

Now you're scaring me. I read that as "the proposed design is free
from the influence of any design effort." That's precisely how you
can find yourself standing in a corner with wet paint on the floor
all around you.

At a minimum you would need to specify the format of the dependency
list and either some header and or terminator or some specification
of something which *can't* be in the list. It would be ironic if
our extensions configuration wasn't extensible.

-Kevin