Why is ALLOW_ABSOLUTE_DBPATHS unsafe?

From: "murphy pope" <pope_murphy(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why is ALLOW_ABSOLUTE_DBPATHS unsafe?
Date: 2002-05-12 20:05:25
Lists: pgsql-general

The "Managing Databases" section of the Administrator's Guide says that
absolute DB paths introduce a security risk.

The CREATE DATABASE documentation says that there are security *AND* data
integrity issues involved with absolute DB paths.

Maybe I'm just not devious enough, but I can't figure out what the risks
are. Can anyone enlighten me?

Also, why are relative DB paths completely disallowed. I can see that you
would have to store the location relative to the cluster's path, but I must
be missing something here too. Thanks for any ideas.

-- Murphy